A Comprehensive range of archaeological, heritage and historical services in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset
Telephone: 01769 573555
In March 2010 South West Archaeology prepared a historical and archaeological assessment of the Grade II* listed buildings at Ash Barton, Braunton prior to a planning application being made for the property. Ash Barton is a small courtyard mansion of 16th/17th century appearance, with an adjacent threshing barn, and a further large building known as “the chapel”. The main building appears to have developed from a three-cell cross-passage house, with a detached service block of probable medieval date, into a courtyard mansion. Other significant alterations to the building also likely occurred in the 19th and 20th centuries. The threshing barn dates from the 17th century but the desk-based study showed that originally it was a much larger building that extended further to the west and north prior to 1888. “The chapel” consisted of the remains of a two storey lodgings to which a three storey agricultural building was added to the south side in the 19th century.